About the People-Centered Collection
This curated collection highlights individual, family, community, and population-centered (IFCP) research and resources that embody the National Center Nexus alignment between interprofessional education, health systems, and the people they serve.
The collection features journal articles, reports, and links to professional and community organizations organized into three themes.
IFCP Involvement in Health Education
Within this theme you will find scholarship on the active involvement of IFCPs in health education including patient as teacher and expert, provider/practitioner empathy development, and IFCP-informed curriculum development.
- Patient as Teacher
- A Model to Promote Public Health by Adding Evidence-Based, Empathy-Enhancing Programs to All Undergraduate Health-care Curricula
- Active patient involvement in the education of health professionals
- Outcomes of Consumer Involvement in Mental Health Nursing Education: An Integrative Review
- Patient as teacher sessions contextualize learning, enhancing knowledge, communication, and participation of pharmacy students in the United Kingdom
- Active involvement of patients in pharmacist education has a positive impact on students' perspective: a pilot study
- Diabetes stories: use of patient narratives of diabetes to teach patient-centered care
- Effect of expert-patient teaching on empathy in nursing students: a randomized controlled trial
IFCP Involvement in Policy, Research, and Planning
Within this theme you will find reports, articles, and organizations to support involving IFCPs in policy development, research, and strategic planning and execution.
- The Art of Empathy: Employing the arts in social inquiry with poor working-class women
- Developing a Patient-Centered ISHAPED Handoff With Patient/Family and Parent Advisory Councils
- Lessons Learned from a Systems Approach to Engaging Patients and Families in Patient Safety Transformation
- Exploring Meaningful Patient Engagement in ADAPTABLE (Aspirin Dosing: A Patient-centric Trial Assessing Benefits and Long-term Effectiveness)
- Experiences of an HCV Patient engagement group: a seven-year journey
- Strategically Advancing Patient and Family Advisory Councils in New York State Hospitals
- "I felt some prejudice in the back of my head": Nursing students' perspectives on learning about mental health from "Experts by Experience"
- Expert by Experience
- McPin Foundation
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Empowerment as Members of the Health Care Team
Within this theme you will find organizations and resources about partnering with and informing IFCPs as empowered members of the healthcare team.
- Conversation Guide for Patients and Caregivers for Identifying Their Health Priorities
- How To Talk To Your Healthcare Provider: Tips on Improving Communication
- Ask Me 3: Good Questions for Your Good Health
- Family Involvement in Dementia Care
- The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare: Patient and Family Resources
- Better Together: Partnerning with Families
- Care That Fits
- Patient and family involvement in adult and intensive care settings: a scoping review
The National Center recognizes and celebrates this collection as an important launch point and not as an exhaustive list. Inclusion in the collection does not indicate endorsement of the research. To submit additional resources for inclusion….click here.