Excellence in Virtual IPE Learning Today for a Better Healthcare Tomorrow
The reality of the COVID-19 pandemic has necessitated a major and rapid shift in teaching strategies across health professions education, including IPE. Join us for this two-hour workshop-style virtual event to learn more about innovations in IPE programming in online learning environments. This virtual event includes a keynote and a workshop of your choice.
Share the Excellence in Virtual IPE Learning Today for a Better Healthcare Tomorrow event flyer with interested peers and colleagues.
- 11:00 - Introduction
- 11:10 - Keynote Presentation by André Thomas
- 11:50 - Keynote Q&A
- 12:00 - Break and Transition to Workshops
- 12:10 - Workshop of your Choice (Selected at the time of registration)
Featured Keynote Speaker:
Director – LIVE Lab; Associate Professor of the Practice
Visualization Department | Texas A&M University
Keynote Presentation: Disaster Strikes - How a Game Saves the Day!
Participants will learn:
- Why games are an effective medium for online and offline learning
- Our approach for taking a physical training event and making it entirely digital and highly engaging
- How interprofessional practice and learning can take place in a virtual world
André Thomas' passion for game-based learning resonates inside and outside of the classroom. A graduate of LCAD MFA in Game Design, he founded and serves as the director of the LIVE Lab in the Department of Visualization at Texas A&M University, where he also teaches game design, game development, and interactive graphics techniques. In 2014, he founded Triseum, where he serves as CEO and leads the creation of its award-winning academic video games. He is an EdTech Leadership award winner, National Academy of Sciences board member, National Arts Education Association lead instructor, and Chillennium Game Jam chair. André also has been invited to speak at numerous education and technology events both in the U.S. and abroad, including SXSW, TEDx, ASU-GSV, BETT, Chinese Academy of Fine Arts, Austrian Ministry of Education, and European Schoolnet. His game-based learning insights and ideas are featured in the Huffington Post, Austin Business Journal, eCampus News, and Learning Solutions Magazine, to name a few. With more than 25 years in CGI production, André has worked around the world on legendary video games, live-action feature films, and memorable commercials. Previously he was Head of Graphics for EA Sports Football games (including NCAA, Head Coach, NFL Tour, and Madden, the longest-running and most successful sports franchise in the games industry). He also created graphics for such notable films as Men in Black, Con Air, Independence Day, Valiant, Ant Bully, and Tomorrow Never Dies.
During the event, participants will select from 1 of 12 workshops to attend:
- Workshop 1: Game-Based Learning for Interprofessional Education | Texas A&M University
- Workshop 2: An Online Domestic Violence IPE Activity | University of Texas at Arlington
- Workshop 3: Outcomes of a Virtual, Large-Scale, Self-Directed Interprofessional Education Series Based on Novel Case Studies | UT Health San Antonio
- Workshop 4: Virtual RN and RT Student Skills Lab: An IPE Approach in a Remote Learning Environment | University of Texas Medical Branch
- Workshop 5: An Active Online Session for “Assessing Individual Behavioral Styles to Improve Interprofessional Communication and Teamwork” | UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Workshop 6: Hosting IPE Day Live, Remote, and Virtual | Nova Southeastern University
- Workshop 7: Conducting an IPE Common Reading Experience | Texas Christian University and University of Texas at Arlington
- Workshop 8: Implementation of an Interprofessional Palliative Care Telehealth Simulation | The University of Texas at Austin
- Workshop 9: Utilization of Mixed Reality Technology in Healthcare Profession's Education | Texas A&M University
- Workshop 10: Developing a Longitudinal, Case-Based IPE Experience that Incorporates Relationship-building, Collaboration, and Leadership Opportunities | The University of Texas at El Paso & Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Workshop 11: The Pandemic Imperative: Transforming Clinical IPE Experiences into Virtual Ones | UTHealth McGovern Medical School, Joan & Stanford Alexander Division of Geriatric & Palliative Medicine
- Workshop 12: Do No Harm: An Interprofessional Patient Safety Event | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center